Psoriasis is a chronic immune system disease that causes itchy, scaly patches. While many people think of psoriasis only as a skin condition, it is actually an immune system disease which causes cells to quickly build up on the skin’s surface. The extra skin cells form red, itchy patches on the skin. 1.6 million people suffer from psoriasis in Australia alone, according to Psoriasis Australia.
At least half of people who have psoriasis have it on their scalp. If you have scalp psoriasis symptoms, here are some things you can try.
- Stick to a healthy diet. Certain foods can trigger psoriasis in many people. Yeast and gluten, dairy products, and fatty red meat are potential triggers. Look for foods high in probiotics, fibre, and antioxidants. Zinc, vitamin A, and vitamin D are important for healthy skin. Excess weight might make symptoms worse. Maintaining a healthy weight can reduce the risk of a flare-up.
- Avoid sunburn. When spending time in the sun, ensure that your scalp does not get burnt. Apply sunscreen to the part in your hair and avoid the hottest hours of the day. Wearing a hat is the best way to avoid getting your scalp sunburnt.
- Keep your skin moisturised. Psoriasis may get worse if you have dry skin. Moisturised skin is less susceptible to psoriasis caused by skin damage. Use a moisturiser every day. For better absorption, apply moisturiser after you take a shower or a bath. Use a humidifier during dry times of the year to help you keep your skin moist. Our Hope’s Relief Moisturising Lotion can be used all over the body and is ideal for dry and itchy skin.
- Avoid using hairbrushes. Brushes can damage the skin on your scalp and make a psoriasis outbreak worse. Skip the hairbrush and use a comb.
- Reduce stress. Stress is a common psoriasis trigger in many people. Although reducing your stress level is easier said than done, there are several things you can try. Exercise, meditation, or counselling may be helpful.
If you suffer from scalp psoriasis, contact us at Hope’s Relief. We offer a variety of products that can provide relief from psoriasis symptoms.