SPRING ALLERGIES AND ECZEMA
While it is one of the most beautiful times of year, spring can also be a challenging season for Eczema sufferers with allergy levels at their highest as pollens take to the air and pets shed their winter coats. Air-conditioning, sweating, dry heat, humidity, chlorine in pools and pollen are also all known triggers for eczema.
For those with Eczema, their bodies are in a near constant state of immune response, from inflammation to immune triggers. This can cause higher sensitivity to allergens prevalent through spring-time.
What you can do to help manage Eczema this spring:
- Keep cool in loose cotton clothing. Cotton breathes much better than other fabrics, and the looser clothing will not cling to your skin and trap in the usual sweat and bacteria.
- Take short, warm baths or showers, not long and hot, as hot water dries the skin.
- Choose beauty products and sunscreens carefully. Look for products labeled “low irritancy” or “hypoallergenic” as hypoallergenic means the ingredients in the product are less likely to activate allergies.
- On windy days, try to stay indoors to avoid allergens. Wind often carries pollen, mold, and spores; and can even knock them loose from plants and trees adding to how much is in the air.
- Try to choose the time of day that you go out to avoid midday sun exposure, heat and sun burn.
- Use soap free and fragrance free products. Soap strips oil from the skin and fragrance irritates eczema prone skin.
- Avoid shampoo running over the body as much as possible when washing hair. Shampoo is full of detergents and other irritants, which may worsen an eczema outbreak.
- If swimming in chlorine, shower straight after and apply an emollient moisturiser. If possible, choose to swim in sea water instead.
- Maintain regular moisturising, at least twice daily including immediately after a bath or shower.
Recommended Spring products :
- We recommend using Hope’s Relief Moisturising Lotion for maintaining daily hydration (for 24 hours) and relieving itchy, dry skin and our Premium Eczema Cream for treating flare-ups and targeted areas.
- Hope’s Relief Gel-Lotion is instantly cooling and soothing so is ideal for use after swimming, sun exposure (or even sun burn).
- Our Topical Spray contains 98.5% natural active ingredients and is convenient to carry throughout the day for top-up application to calm and soothe dry, itchy skin.